Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A New recipe!! SWEET POTATO ZUCCHINI CAKES

So...I know I did this whole post on how I was doing much creatively in the kitchen lately, but guess what?  I have a new recipe for you!  I made Sarah Fragoso's Garden meatballs the other night and had more shredded sweet potato and zucchini then I needed, so I thought to myself, what can I do with this?  So for breakfast the next morning, I threw these ingredients together fried them up in some butter and the kids LOVED them!  As always, my recipes are just a jumping off point feel free to personalize it to your taste.  My kids prefer them " burnt" as they call them, which is really just well browned, much more brown than the ones in the photo.  They say it makes them taste like cheese, which for my kids is a huge treat.   They have all had dairy issues and had to avoid dairy since birth, so tasting like cheese is a huge hit with them.  One of the things I love about these is that you can just shred up your zucchini and sweet potato in advance and store them in glass airtight containers int he fridge, pull it out in the morning and whip up a batch of these.  And my daughter who claims she hates eggs, even likes these, what a great way to sneak in more veggies, eggs and give them a great start to their day.  My 7 year old even packed one for her lunch today!  I wonder if bacon would be good in these....hmmmm.  Okay enough rambling, here is the recipe.




SWEET POTATO AND ZUCCHINI CAKES
Serves 4-5

4-5 cups of shredded sweet potato and zucchini ( used about 1/2 and 1/2)
8 eggs
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp coarse ground pepper
1/4 tsp sweet basil (dried)
3/4 cup almond flour
Butter or Ghee for frying in (this is and important flavor ingredient too)


Crack your eggs into a large bowl and beat well with a fork or whisk.  Add in the salt, pepper, basil, mix well and stir in the sweet potatoes, zucchini and almond flour, mix well.  Then place a small skillet over medium heat (give or take a few degrees depending on your stove), melt a few TBSP of butter.  Then using a ladle, scoop up a ladle full of the mixture and pour into the pan.  Let the one side cook for a few minutes until it's to your desired doneness, then flip and cook the other side.  Remove to a platter and repeat the steps for cooking the rest of the batter ( you may have to add more butter/ghee as you go along, butter makes it better).  My kids like to eat it with ketchup but my husband and I eat them plain.  There you have it simple, easy, nutritious, economical and yummy all in one!  Enjoy! Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Sheilla, I made these yesterday after church and they were AWESOME!!! Everyone loved them! Thanks for posting :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Sarah, glad you guys enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds Amazing! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds kinda stupid but do you use cooked sweet potatoes or raw? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taylor, I use raw zucchini and raw sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete